“Pride In Old And New”
The new seal of the City of Duluth, Georgia, was created in the year 2003. The appearance is similar to the old seal previously used by the City from 1982 until 2003. The background information was selected to represent and maintain the history of Duluth as well as representing new development.
The steam engine is prominent because the city’s growth was dependent on the railroad, and the city’s name was established in conjunction with the railroad.
The flags represent and honor those veterans who served in the different branches of the military. The flags are displayed throughout the city twice annually, on Memorial Day and Veteran Day.
The Cupola that sits above the City’s new Festival Center building and amphitheater located in the historic downtown represents the City’s commitment to “Pride in the Old and New” by maintaining the historic integrity found in the downtown. A plan for restoring the downtown and preserving its older buildings was approved in 1998 and implementation of the plan began in 2000. The bell in the cupola was donated by Ms. Kathryn Willis and the major cost of the building was paid for by the Fall Festival Committee through money raised from an annual Fall Festival Arts and Crafts Festival held in the downtown in September of each year.
Duluth was named Tree City in 1989 and is known for its dedication to preserving green space. Trees appear in the seal as a symbol of Duluth’s Tree City designation.
Located on the bottom right and left outer ring of the shield are tufts of cotton. Cotton was a major industry in the Duluth area. There were at least three operating cotton gins in the city and the streets were, at one time, lined with cotton bales awaiting shipment by the railroad.
The date 1876 represents when Duluth was first Chartered.
The First Baptist Church 1948-1980 became City hall in 1982.
This page courtesy of the City of Duluth. ©2016 City of DULUTH Georgia. All Rights Reserved.